|
|---|
Saturday, January 8, 2011
The naked body of Carlos Castro, 65, was found lying face-up in a pool of blood inside his 34th-floor room at the InterContinental New York Times Square on W. 44th St. about 7p.m., the sources said.
The prominent gay activist had been bludgeoned in the head and his scrotum cut off, sources said.
His suspected killer - Renato Seabra, a Portuguese male model who was staying with Castro at the InterContinental - was found hours later at Roosevelt Hospital in Midtown, the sources said.
Seabra, who was seen arguing with the journalist in the hours before the murder, went to the hospital for treatment for scrapes and cuts on his hands and his face.
But when a nurse saw the injuries and the police description of Seabra, she called 911.
The model was arrested a short time later and taken to Bellevue Hospital, where he was undergoing a psychiatric evaluation Saturday morning, the NYPD sources said.
Monica Pires, a friend of the writer and producer, first grew concerned after she went to the swanky hotel Friday evening and could not reach Castro, sources said.
"We asked the front desk to call up to Carlos but he didn't respond," Pires told the Portuguese news agency Lusa. "So we tried his cell phone and nobody answered."
Just then, Pires and her mom saw the tall, chiseled Seabra walk through the lobby - and stop in a panic when he saw the worried women.
"We asked him about Carlos, and he looked panicked," a shaken Pires said.
"He never expected to see us in the lobby and he told us, 'Carlos isn't leaving the room,'" she said. "This answer surprised us and we told the hotel manager."
Pires screamed, which prompted the hotel staff to check room 3416, where they made the gruesome discovery. They quickly called 911.
Pires and her mom, who dined with Castro and Seabra the day before, gave a description of the male model to police, who searched hospitals throughout Manhattan and notified area airports to be on the lookout.
"They asked me what he was wearing, and how he looked - how his hair was, if he was clean, if he was on drugs," said Pires, who lives in New Jersey.
The prominent gay activist had been bludgeoned in the head and his scrotum cut off, sources said.
His suspected killer - Renato Seabra, a Portuguese male model who was staying with Castro at the InterContinental - was found hours later at Roosevelt Hospital in Midtown, the sources said.
Seabra, who was seen arguing with the journalist in the hours before the murder, went to the hospital for treatment for scrapes and cuts on his hands and his face.
But when a nurse saw the injuries and the police description of Seabra, she called 911.
The model was arrested a short time later and taken to Bellevue Hospital, where he was undergoing a psychiatric evaluation Saturday morning, the NYPD sources said.
Monica Pires, a friend of the writer and producer, first grew concerned after she went to the swanky hotel Friday evening and could not reach Castro, sources said.
"We asked the front desk to call up to Carlos but he didn't respond," Pires told the Portuguese news agency Lusa. "So we tried his cell phone and nobody answered."
Just then, Pires and her mom saw the tall, chiseled Seabra walk through the lobby - and stop in a panic when he saw the worried women.
"We asked him about Carlos, and he looked panicked," a shaken Pires said.
"He never expected to see us in the lobby and he told us, 'Carlos isn't leaving the room,'" she said. "This answer surprised us and we told the hotel manager."
Pires screamed, which prompted the hotel staff to check room 3416, where they made the gruesome discovery. They quickly called 911.
Pires and her mom, who dined with Castro and Seabra the day before, gave a description of the male model to police, who searched hospitals throughout Manhattan and notified area airports to be on the lookout.
"They asked me what he was wearing, and how he looked - how his hair was, if he was clean, if he was on drugs," said Pires, who lives in New Jersey.
0 Comments:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




















